Monday, May 30, 2011

Million Dollar Moments

Along the "Million Dollar Highway" between Ouray and Silverton, CO
May 26, 2011

The "Million Dollar Highway" is a 24 mile stretch of road between Silverton and Ouray, Colorado that is listed as one of the Top 10 Scenic Drives in America.   With several mountain passes to cross and steep drop-offs without benefit of guard rails, it is NOT for the faint of heart.  But it is a spectacular drive and even with a few white-knuckle moments, we'd both do it again in a heartbeat. 

We are not yet halfway through our trip around Colorado and the "million dollar" moments are not confined to driving on a highway, but are happening on a daily basis.  We are doing lots of hiking, biking, walking, strolling through historical areas and beautifully restored downtowns, meeting and talking to lots of local folks and even getting involved (as spectators) in one of the largest bicycling events in the United States, the Iron Horse Classic.  Most evenings, we relax quietly in our "home" talking and planning our activities for the next day.  Right now (I'm writing this on Sunday evening), I'm getting caught up with blog reading while Mr. B is listening to music already selecting things for his choirs to begin working on this fall.  It's such a peaceful "million dollar" moment and I am so grateful to be experiencing this adventure. 

I have been somewhat surprised that new readers just keep popping up even though this blog currently has very little to do with weight loss and entries are hit or miss.  So thank you for seeing enough content even while I'm traveling to want to continue reading on a regular basis.  In a few weeks, things will be back to normal.   Oh my goodness, there's that word again.   NORMAL!  Whatever that is!

For those of you who are following the separate travel journal I am keeping, some new entries have been added and here is the link to find them.


In the spirit of being Honest and Real as the award I recently received suggests, I have to admit that eating has not gone as well this past week as it did the first week.  No, I haven't gone off the deep end, but I've had a number of indulgences mostly in the form of cinnamon rolls.  We are doing so much physical activity that it seems to be balancing itself out and so far, I've shown only a small gain.  I'd hope to lose while on this trip, but in all reality, I'll be happy to maintain. 
 
And lastly, but certainly not least, I have to thank my friend, Karen at Waisting Time  for thinking my blog worthy of another award.  


I'm not certain anything about me has ever been referred to as "adorable" before, so that makes it even more special.  I must tell you ten things about me, but that may have to wait until I am back at home with more time to think.  In the meantime, thanks a bunch.  You made my day!
 
Did you have a "million dollar" moment today?  I sure hope so!

7 comments:

  1. That photo is GORGEOUS!!! I visited Colorado last July for the first time and found myself quite in awe of the majesty of those mountains. It moved me to tears.

    As for new readers despite the change of topics, I think people like to hear a little bit of everything even from people who started out or generally write about a particular topic. It makes the person real, which makes the material have more meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *smile* It surprised me to read you are not yet halfway through your adventure. Lucky you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you're having a great time. Keep it up! :D

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a stunning photo! It must have been awe-inspiring in person. The kind of place that you just breathe in, and it reminds you of grander and bigger things, than just our little lives... well, that's how the photo hit me, anyway. :-)

    I'm glad you are enjoying your trip so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That picture is just beautiful! I'm so glad you and Bill are enjoying yourself. I have to be honest though...I'm really looking forward to you coming home. I can't wait to hit the trail with you again.

    I also wanted to thank you for your comment the other day. You're words touched me so much my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your vacation with us! I hope you continue to enjoy yourselves! Be safe (especially with that whole guardrail siutation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not been out to CO for a long time. Your blog keeps me wanting to go back there and bring my hiking shoes and my bike!!!

    ReplyDelete