Monday, May 16, 2011

When the Image Becomes Clear

Columbine growing in a Hermann, Missouri garden
May 11, 2011

We found this large patch of Columbine growing in an exquisite garden in the front yard of a home in Hermann, MO where we spent three days last week.  Columbine is easy to grow, but I can also show you large patches of it in my beloved Great Smoky Mountains National Park that grows totally on its own with no human TLC whatsoever.  Columbine attracts other things of beauty such as hummingbirds and butterflies.  

When searching for today's picture, this one spoke to me for reasons which have nothing to with flowers or gardens.  What I saw were the two perfectly focused flowers in the forefront with all the others beautifully situated in the somewhat blurry background.  And it became to me a lovely picture of the time I spent this past Friday with Karen who blogs at Waisting Time.  Because, until last Friday, Karen was just like all of you except Kimberlynn and Tish (two other bloggers with whom I've had the privilege of spending time).  Bloggers with whom I had much in common and with whom I had formed a connection.  Bloggers who were beautiful and attracted others with beauty.  But bloggers who remained a bit blurry because we all know that until you meet someone face to face, their image will never be totally clear.  I experienced that when I spent time with Tish and Kimberlynn and now I've experienced it with Karen.  She is everything her blog reflects and is a delightful person whom I wish you all could know.  There were hugs, there was laughter, there was sharing, there was conversation that went way beyond weight issues and the challenges therein.  What NEVER happened were moments of silence or awkwardness.  What was solidified beyond any shadow of a doubt, was friendship and I am so thankful that she and I had this opportunity.  I am thankful to my sweet Mr. B who enjoyed lunch with us, but then graciously went back to our hotel so Karen and I could have several hours to get better acquainted.  It was an afternoon I'll never forget and truly hope it isn't the last time we are able to be together.  Her personality is reflected through her writing, but there is so much more.  There is a kind, caring woman with a delightful sense of humor who loves her family deeply and cares about her friends, both in her "real" world and her blog.  

If you EVER have an opportunity to meet those you have become attached to via your blogs, please don't pass up the chance to do so.  If you do, those lovely "columbines" will remain forever in a slightly blurry background when they could be growing beside you CLEARLY reflecting a show of unity and harmony.  It makes me smile with pleasure even now two days and 600 miles later.  Thanks Karen - it was an afternoon of joy which I will never forget.

Sharon and Karen
May 13, 2011

Summer Trip 2011 is progressing nicely and I am writing from Colorado Springs, CO.  Unfortunately our first full day here was cold, drizzly and foggy.  If I hadn't seen it before, you'd never convince me Pikes Peak was anywhere near because you sure couldn't see it yesterday.  We went to the grocery store and wandered around the Garden of the Gods Visitor Center where the plan was to do a couple of short hikes while still acclimating to the higher altitude.  Being outside just wasn't pleasant, nor were we really dressed for it, so we came back to our cute little cottage and relaxed for the rest of the day. Movies and popcorn were all that was needed after almost a week of non-stop travel.

I have added a couple of updates to the separate journal that's going to our family and friends who do not know about this blog.  Here is a link to that journal if you are interested:


Eating is going very well and as expected, I have lost four pounds since last Monday.  I have my trusty scales with me and my promise to you is that I will continue to weigh every day (as is my normal practice) no matter what!  We've enjoyed some treats and had a DELICIOUS lunch with Karen at Avenues Bistro in Leawood, Kansas.  Now that we are settled for a week in Colorado Springs, our level of exercise will pick up dramatically and we made some good choices at the grocery store. Yeah for a Whole Foods nearby and a KingSooper which is Colorado's version of Kroger, my normal grocery store in Tennessee. 

My posts will remain infrequent while we are traveling, but I'll let you know when I update the travel journal and I absolutely had to post about my visit with Karen.

Don't allow your blogger friends to remain blurry images in the background if you have any chance for the image to become focused and clear.  I promise, you will NOT regret the effort!  It will enrich your life and give you one more reason to smile!

7 comments:

  1. This was a beautiful post, a beautiful analogy. I smiled, I really did LOL, and I feel warm and fuzzy. And is it just my imagination or do we both look young in that picture! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post, and the Columbine photo is beautiful. I saw some recently on my vacation and hadn't really noticed it before. It looks so delicate, yet it's fascinating that it can grown relatively untended. It's like people -- we're far less delicate than we think in so many ways. At the same time, we're far more fragile than ever acknowledged.

    And thank you for your kind comments on my blog regarding Clinton.

    So glad you had a wonderful time with Karen. I very much look forward to an opportunity to meet a few of the bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I mentioned on Karen's blog, I may print and frame this photo because it has two of my favorite people in it! :) Lovely photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Sharon!
    I wrote this to Karen: I knew it! I am so happy for both of you that you were able to meet up! There is something about blogging that allows us to be virtually authentic and yes, our own unique personalities come out in our blogs. It is no surprise that the two of you hit it off (both of you said this!). I bet this is the beginning of a real life long friendship.

    I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting another blogger, but I will in July. What a lot of people do not know is that my hubby and I were pen pals back in the day before the Internet. I took the initiative to go and meet him in the Netherlands which was the beginning of pour live together. SO, yes, I completely agree with you: meeting your writing pals will enrich your live in ways that maybe you can not imagine.

    I look forward to meeting up with both of you sometime! Travel safe! michele

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Dear Friend--glad that our friendship has come into focus--great metaphor. Yes, I'd love to meet half way to bike. Let's email and plan. I'm enjoying your trip journal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you're having a wonderful time Sharon. I know what a treat it is to meet fellow bloggers and how wonderful it feels when they become a friend. I'm looking forward to spending more time with you when you get back. As of right now we are on our third straight day of cold and cloudy days. This morning brought with it rain too. You're not missing much as far as weather goes.

    I also wanted to thank you for your comment on my latest post. And as for being part of my 60 pound celebration (199 pounds)...that would be perfect. I already know exactly what I want to do. A girls only lunch with friends who've encouraged me along the way. You would definately be part of that group!

    I almost forgot...great job on the four pounds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon, you write so beautifully; and what a perfect photograph to drive home your point. Reading about your meeting with Karen and noting how wonderful that moment was left me grinning ear to ear. It can be daunting meeting someone for 'real' for the first time but it sounds like it went like so many others that I read about: like you've known each other forever and have just picked up where you left off, regardless of how much time has passed.
    I have a confession that I should squeeze in right here: it was my hope that for our annual trip to the Smoky Mountains this year I'd have the opportunity to finally meet you in person, but we are going to have to put our trip on hold until next year due to some conflicts. However - I will be headed that way before you know it and can only hope that we have the chance to see each other when I do :)

    ReplyDelete