Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Floundering

Norris Dam State Park - Norris, TN
August 29, 2013

I wish this were a post about fish (see title), but it isn't.  It is one of two posts which I'm writing back to back and have finally decided to post the less positive one first.  I'd love to always be able to write about the wonderful things that are happening in and around my life.  Thankfully, the weeks leading up to and through our move into the condo went flawlessly.  Almost too much so........

Since the day we moved in, we have experienced almost non-stop problems.  Not with the condo - no, everything there is wonderful and we absolutely love it and our new neighborhood.  It just seems as if the forces of evil have said, "ok, you're all settled now, let's see what I can throw at you."  

So in the interest of the honesty I've put forth by calling my blog, "Gains and Losses: LIFE Through Sharon's Eyes," today, it's all about the losses.  Unfortunately, the first thing that happened, I am not at liberty to share on the blog, but it was significant and occurred on the Friday after we moved.  We've helped the person involved work through the details of that and hopefully, have moved on, but it was extremely stressful and put a damper on our excitement.

Would you believe on the Monday following our move, my mother fell on the golf course and broke her wrist.  She is doing as well as could be expected and I can't tell you how proud I am of both her and daddy's response to this.  They are very active folks and I expect this to get old quickly, but for now, she's doing o.k.  We met last week when I took my car in for service (yes, that's part of litany) and had a salesperson snap this picture of us as we were leaving.  Like I said, I am so proud them!

August 26, 2013

We have been disappointed so far in the movement on our old house.  There have been several showings, but doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm.   We consented early last week to have carpet removed in the old living/dining room as we knew there were hardwood floors underneath.  The carpet was outdated and had worked for us, but we could see that it likely wasn't impressive to most buyers.  The carpet was 100% wool and original to the house.  Needless to say, the dust, dirt and grime left by the carpet removers was unbelievable.  Really makes you understand why no one who suffers from allergies should have carpet in their homes!!  Rather than have the floors professionally cleaned, Bill chose to do it himself resulting in most likely a much more thorough job of cleaning, BUT breathing all of that has left him extremely ill.  This has been going on for a week starting with a hacking cough that has morphed into something much worse including total laryngitis.  Not good for a college professor.  He is heartbroken as this is the first full week of classes, a time which he normally can't wait to arrive.  It breaks my heart to watch him struggle.  Please remember him in your thoughts and prayers.  He is very ill.  

And then there are the things which under normal circumstances, would be rather humorous, but interspersed with these more serious things that involve people I love, I'm finding it hard to see any humor.  It's more like I wake up each morning wondering what today's calamity will be.  And that is not at all my nature.  For starters, I broke the sensor on the garage door opener at the condo and my new RAV4 developed some serious issues resulting in numerous trips back to the dealership.

Are we second guessing our decision to buy the condo?  With the exception of my mom breaking her wrist and a couple of the more minor issues, it is likely none of these things would've happened had we not moved, nor would we be in the position of needing our house to sell to get our finances back in the order we've worked so hard to establish.  But we have no doubts and a great deal of faith that all will work out.  Most reward involves a good deal of risk.  We believe the reward is just around the corner and our responsibility is to learn all that we can in the meantime.  

Those who have been blog friends with me for a long time are well aware that Bill returning to school each year always poses a few weeks of challenge for me.  We enjoy each other and utilize his summer breaks to the fullest.  It is always an adjustment for me when he returns - I don't mind admitting that I just plain miss him!  Unfortunately, those feelings have coincided with all these other things and sending him off to school each morning with that dejected look because he can't talk or stop coughing is breaking my heart.  

So there you have it!  I have been writing this post since last Wednesday wondering whether or not I'd actually post it.  But you know what?  It's real!  And it's the way things are for me right now.  So yes, I'm going to post it.  And hope that rather than feeling sorry for me (there's no reason to), it will encourage you to be "real" on your own blogs.  I happen to know that there are people reading this who care about me and because it's through words that we share our lives with each other, you want to know how it really is!

Towards the end of last week, I did have a day I sorely needed.  It was during that time that I took today's picture of a tranquil and serene, yet very foggy Norris Lake just below the dam.  I watched the fog lift and realized that the same would happen for me.  The fog will lift and all will be clear. 

16 comments:

  1. Aw, HUGS Sharon! You can email me any time you like if you want to chat (savyart@gmail.com, just in case you lost it.) Sorry about your mom's wrist, and everything else too. Your husband has been to a doctor, right? Sometimes there are things in that dust that can be really, REALLY bad, that they need to jump on right away. I sure hope he feels better.

    Sorry about the house not moving, but there should be a new wave of people looking before the holidays here, so maybe it'll just start hopping like crazy! We went to look at a house locally last night and I'm somewhere between excited and panicked out of my mind, LOL. This whole moving thing is BEYOND stressful! You have my total sympathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ::::sigh:::::

    When it rains, it pours, eh?

    There is huge healing in saying "it's just the way things are for me right now." Talk about acceptance. Here's to better days ahead and healing all around. <3 and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for being real.... Life is never all roses and sunshine, and I think sharing the realness makes us all feel a little less lonely.

    Don't doubt the condo move, you are right where you should be. The house will sell, though maybe not as quickly as you had planned...but I understand the financial pressure of having 2 homes. And the RAV and the Garage Door sensor will be fixed. And Bill will stop coughing (I'll definitely keep him in my prayers). It's all a season, and it will pass.

    Keep finding ways to bring a little joy to your day, like you did with Norris Lake. Fall will be here soon, and I hope you will retreat back to "your mountains" and find the solitude and renewal you need after a crazy couple of months.

    Love you friend...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there, things will get better. Sending good thoughts to your hubby. Hope he recovers quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless your heart ---both of you. My heart goes out to Bill. Hope he feels better soon... And prayers for you as you adjust to him being back at work... Life goes on, doesn't it?

    Moving is emotional on every level.... The other house WILL sell--even if you have to lower the price significantly --just to get it off of your plate... I know many people who have gone through the same thing and all of them said that just selling it (even at a much lower price) was worth it... Good Luck!!!

    After all of this is said and done, you'll look back on this --and it will ALL be worth it and will be the correct decision..... Just be patient and hang in there. Take one day at a time...

    You all do need to get away for a few days... Can you work that out????

    I am very very very busy this week--not blogging at all other than answering a few comments like yours---and am working on my Family History... Genealogy is so fascinating and I LOVE it. BUT--it is also hard and takes much time and detail work... Fun fun!!!!

    Hugs and Prayers,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am SO sorry about all of this. Has Bill seen an allergist? He might need a Z-pack of (steroid meds) to get over this. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon,
    I read this post with a heavy heart for you. Life just piles up on us sometimes, doesn't it? It can be hard to remember that the sun is shining behind those clouds. It sounds like you still have that faith. I keep all of my blog friends in my prayers, and I'll say an extra one for you and Bill.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sharon, sorry to hear all this. I'll say a prayer for you and your family. Take care and keep taking care of yourself, too. These tough times will pass. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry that you are having such a difficult time right now. I must say your attitude is still quite good and you ended the post on a positive note! I will pray that your house will soon be sold, hubby will be better and these troubles will be but a memory.

    As my mother always tells me, "This too shall pass".

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, the thing that hit me the most was how dangerous that could be to clean up the dirt from years underneath a carpet--who knew??

    Having grown up in a non-moving family, and being a non-mover myself, I've never really understood the financial maneuvering involved with moving. It always seemed impossible to me--how could you have two houses at one time. LOL at my ignorance--I guess that's part of why I've never moved... I LOVE your old house and neighborhood. If I was looking to move to Tennessee, I'd be there in an instant!

    Love the pic of you and your parents==you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sending you, Bill, and your parents calming, healing wishes. And the Rav4, too.

    It's awesome you have your heart and mind open to the lessons along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sorry to hear Bill is ill. He should see a pulmonologist if it has been going on this long (if he hasn't already). The average tends to be 1 offer for every 10 showings, so hang in there. Real estate moves on its own time, which is never your time, you know?

    A move is stressful enough, let alone all the other things that have happened. Make sure you are taking time for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry that you are experiencing all of this at once Sharon. I have had times like that in my life before and it is so stressful. Hugs to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how you share your faith even in your trials. I'm sorry you've had a bout of non-fun stuff! I hope brighter days will shine forth real quick!

    God Bless...
    ~Margene

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is wonderful to see such open hearted honesty. I remember writing such a post during dark times last year and being shocked st the buck up responses. Look on the bright side, glass half full. I know they were trying to help but I sure felt unheard and have stayed on the "if you don't have something good to say don't say it" side since but I still feel the sting of not really being heard. I admire you.

    ReplyDelete