Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Weight Loss Wednesday
The path through the holidays and my December illness was a bit curvy, but I'm doing O.K!
St. Joe Walkway - Palm Coast, Florida
January 1, 2013
Yes, this post will be totally about my weight loss journey. That's the premise on which this blog was begun and although the blog may go in many directions, I'll never leave this part of it behind. Maintaining my weight will be a struggle until I draw my last breath on this earth and this blog along with the support I've found through it have gotten me to maintenance for what I sincerely hope is the last time.
I started the New Year still carrying the few pounds I gained while sick during the first part of December. Those pounds were not coming off easily as I'd hoped once I completed all the meds and returned to my normal way of eating. I chose to work hard to gain no MORE weight through the holidays. On January 8 when Bill left me in Florida to return home and I was on my own for 10 days, I'd follow a strict round of the 17 Day Diet, Cycle 1. That is exactly what I have done.
Historically, my time in Flagler Beach has been an effortless month for me to lose weight. In 2007, the year I was originally losing my 65 pounds, I lost more weight during the month of January than any other month. In 2008, I was able to lose the remaining few pounds and actually dipped BELOW my goal while here. Looking back over my prized records, I am reminded that I lost weight in January of both 2009 and 2010 while here. So my record here is a good one and I plan to keep that record intact.
So I consider this "me" time! I miss Bill terribly and admit watching him walk through that gate at the airport last Tuesday headed home was TOUGH! But there was a tiny part of me that was excited because I was so ready to concentrate on getting myself, my eating and my weight 100% back to the way it was for most of 2012.
Here are the things I am doing........................
1) walking twice every day for 50 minutes to an hour each time (more about that in Friday's post). Usually early in the morning, then late afternoon.
2) eating easy to prepare meals that adhere to Cycle 1 of the 17DD.
3) spending some time each day seeking out new healthy eating blogs to read (if you know of any or have any favorites, let me know)
4) reading healthy living articles I find on the internet
5) just reading.............
6) looking for ways to improve Gains and Losses, considering some new ideas and keeping blog posts up to date (I'm almost there)
Some things I am NOT doing...........................
1) allowing myself any stress
2) spending time thinking about food - between the farmer's market and a couple of trips to the store, my fridge and pantry is well-stocked with a variety of mix and match items. I really don't even have to look - just pick one item off each shelf and I've got my meal.
4) washing dishes
5) worrying about how I look (I am clean, I am healthy, my clothes always match - my focus is comfort, not fashion)
Some things I enjoy.....................
1) Since I am alone and thoroughly enjoy my house, I could easily go days with zero in person interaction with others. That's not how we are meant to live, so I make a concentrated effort to interact with someone new each day. I always know that I will encounter numerous people on my walks, so that isn't hard. People are very friendly and always happy to chat.
2) I've spent some time thinking about goals for Bill and I to consider this year. We'll have fun discussing those when he comes down for MLK weekend.
3) While here, we always make decisions and I get a good start on our summer trip plans.
4) And have I mentioned reading...............................
I've already made a great dent in those pounds since last Tuesday. I expect the rate of loss to slow, but am still hoping I can be back at goal or at least very close when I return home on January 31.
Would you enjoy having 10 days all alone in a house by the Atlantic Ocean? What would you do?