Thursday, August 29, 2019

So, Who Am I NOW?


Walking...........
Maggie Valley, NC - August, 2019

People often ask me if have “changed” since my husband passed away 4 ½ years ago.  The sarcastic Sharon is tempted to reply, “you tell me,” but the real Sharon loves pondering the question.  The truth is, of course, I have changed.  And I hope you have as well.  If not, we’d all be very boring!  The deeper truth, as you might have guessed, is quite different.  Naming specific ways that I have changed would be verbalizing specific characteristics that would reflect growth or so I’d hope!  As for who I am now as opposed to who I was before, that hasn’t, nor will it, change! 

For an online class I am in, we were asked to post a 100-word introduction of ourselves.  Just to put it in perspective, the first paragraph of this post was 111 words, so already over the limit.  Try introducing yourself to a group in 100 words or less!  After I’d written and posted that 100-word introduction, I got to thinking about self-introductions I’d written in the past and what words they all share.  What I realized is that I am exactly who I have been since I was that free-spirited four-year old throwing rocks in the river that I mentioned in the last post.  What I sincerely hope is that age, maturity and life experience have molded me into a grown-up version of that same free spirit exhibiting the grown-up characteristics that never stop maturing and changing. 
Reflecting...............
Maggie Valley, NC - August, 2019


I will always be an off the charts introvert (do not equate introversion with shyness - I am NOT shy) who loves solitude and is happiest when walking, reading or setting out on a new adventure.  I dislike noise and crowds.  I need sunshine and wide-open spaces.  The list of things I love goes on forever, but probably starts with quiet conversations in a rocking chair on a porch with a cup of coffee!
   
Front Porch Rocking!
Maggie Valley, NC - August, 2019

So, who am I now?  Exactly who I’ve always been!  Have I changed?  You bet!  But that’s a tale for another post!

I am in my last few days of what has been a spectacular “retreat” in the mountains of western North Carolina.  Although I am more than ready to see my friends and family, I’d be lying if I said I was ready to return to 90+ temperatures.  We’ll see how that goes!

3 comments:

  1. So nice to hear from you. I can well relate to your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to see this post from you. I cannot believe it has been 4.5 years. 7 months for me and I'm in what feels like a permanent fog. Your post gives me hopoe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss hearing from you. Strange, I know, since we have never met. I liked what you wrote in this blog and hope you will start writing again.

    ReplyDelete