Monday, January 22, 2018

2017 - A Pivotal Year

Destin, Florida - January 6, 2018

In a couple of months (March 18), I will pass the three year mark of Bill’s death.  For someone who questioned whether or not they could survive at all, I simply cannot fathom that three years have passed and I will soon be entering my fourth year as a single adult.
 
2017 was a year of immense learning experiences some of which were easy.  Others were painfully slow and difficult.  Some I learned the first time around, others had to kick me in the rear end a few times before I got the message.  But I feel as if I left 2017 behind a stronger person and can truthfully admit that I began 2018 with excitement. 

2017 found me traveling again.  I visited 13 states.  Several of them more than once.  I traveled as far north as Maryland, as far west as New Mexico, as far south as Florida, as far east as North Carolina.  I attended two conferences, renewed acquaintances with friends I hadn’t seen in years, visited several new-to-me National Parks, State Parks and toured five State Capital Houses I hadn’t previously seen.  I got two more states (West Virginia & Maryland) in my quest to hike at least a mile on the Appalachian Trail in every state it touches. 

In 2017, I completed four courses toward the Master’s Degree I am working on.  With diligent study and no setbacks, I am on track to graduate in a year.  It has been a huge part of my grief journey and is yet another example (we all have them) of how opportunities come to us at the time they are intended.  I would’ve never in a million years told you this was something that I would pursue and I don’t yet have any clue in what way I will use the things I have learned.  I just know that I will.  I know that I already have!

2017 found me stronger and more confident in my ability to live on my own.  I continue to have health issues and one of the hardest lessons I’ve had to learn is how much I took for granted all the things Bill just intuitively did for me because I was not strong enough to do them myself.  Even now, most of my “meltdowns” occur over something I need done (opening a jar, putting together something simple, opening something out of that ridiculous plastic stuff that can’t be cut with a knife, etc.) that he always did, but isn’t here to do now.  Sometimes, I think it isn’t so much that he isn’t here as much as it is the memory of how he would just seem to appear as if he sensed when I couldn’t do something and was just THERE to take it out of my hand without my even asking.  I’ve always been very sensitive about having been diagnosed with severe rheumatoid disease so early and the damage it has done to me.  I don’t like to talk about it and I don’t like other people to see my weakness.  He’s the only one that really knew.  I’m having to learn to allow other people in and ask for help.  Not easy for me by any stretch of the imagination.
 
But the greatest gift that 2017 brought me was the simple joy of “home.”  It evolved so subtly, I didn’t even recognize it until I caught myself being excited about pulling in my garage and closing the door behind me.  For so many months, I would sit in the garage and cry because I knew when I went in, he wouldn’t be waiting for me like he so often had or if I was at home, I knew I had to stop listening for his car to pull in because it wasn’t going to.  But ever so slowly, those times faded away and my joy in being “home” is complete.  I have made it mine.  I have deliberately made a few changes that Bill would roll his eyes and tell me just don’t “work!”  I just laugh!  I am so grateful that I am content when I am away from home and I am content when I am at home in my condo.  There is so much rest in knowing that “home” is wherever my heart is and that no matter where I am, I am never, NEVER alone!

7 comments:

  1. What a great surprise! So nice to hear from you, and hear your story up to date. Really glad to learn you're turning the grief in new directions. We are too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stuart, Thanks for your reply! We've both learned grief is an odd thing. The lessons are hard, but moving through them really does make you stronger and hopefully, a better friend and encourager! Take care.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad that "home" has returned to you! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kyra, So good to hear from. Thanks for replying. North Carolina is still a state capital I do not have, so one of these days, it'll happen. I'd hope we could meet for lunch or coffee!

      Delete
  3. It's hard for me to believe it's been 4 years. It's so good to hear from you again and to know you are doing well. You are a very strong woman and I think of you often and always wish you the very best in everything as you move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best wishes Sharon!!! Thanks for your update. Glad you are at home! Here's to getting any help or support you need for RA. Tough disease. You are tougher!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sharon.
    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog a couple of weeks ago. You crossed my mind often with thoughts of how you're doing, so it was great to hear a little bit about how things are going and to know that you still going and living. You were always a great inspiration to me as I made my first and long steps into healthier lifestyle altogether. I I'm on academic sabbatical this year and spending a lot of time in the Pacific Northwest with some of my family. This means that I am discovering hiking trails and of course walking trails all over the hills and mountains where I am. You also really inspired me with hiking and your continued zeal for it. Take good care, Michele

    ReplyDelete