Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A New Day

Sunrise from atop Mt. Leconte - August 31, 2010
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

I have to confess that I did not take this picture.  I was invited to participate in this overnight hike to Mt. LeConte, but had to commit by August 1 and not knowing what we were facing with FIL, I declined.  As it turns out, I could have gone and seen this with my own two eyes. The picture took my breath away - can you imagine seeing the real thing?  But as I told the friend who did take the picture, I could not have received a more perfect gift.   A new day, a new month, a new start!

At exactly 6:48 a.m. this morning, I stepped on the scale having no idea what to expect.  Mr. B came running when he heard the scream.  Then he asked if 911 needed to be called when I began to hyperventilate!  I knew it would be painful and it was.  This mornings weight was 159.5, a gain of seven pounds from the low of 152.5 I reached on August 15.  The sidebar will only show a gain of five pounds for the month of August.  It is done, I have confessed it and have moved on.  Reaching my goal of 138 by year-end will be challenging, but is doable.  I am hoping that with a few days of clean eating, I'll lose a little of it quickly since I gained it so quickly.  If I don't, that's o.k. too.  I'll reach goal when I reach it.  The point is, I am confident that I'll reach it at the "right" time.

Today has been a very busy, but good day.  I've realized that some adjustments to the rigid plan I had set for myself need to be made. The "no dining out" thing just isn't going to happen.  MIL and I worked through another ton of business things today and although we've reached a compromise, she insists on taking me out to lunch on the days we work together.  Please understand that FIL was a very picky eater and never enjoyed eating out even when he was healthy.  This is a whole new world for MIL and she is eating it up (no pun intended!!).  Her delight brings me joy and I absolutely will not do anything to dampen that for her.  Our compromise is that we will eat out, but I always choose the place and I tell her in advance what I'm going to order.  She promises to hold me accountable.   This worked perfectly today, so we'll see how it goes.

Today's greatest joy:  Seeing the look of sheer relief on MIL's face when we crossed last item off our list of things to do today.
Today's greatest challenge: Ignoring the Demon Sample Pushers in Sam's Club.

Today's weight:  159.5
Yesterday's Steps:  10,028

Today's Food:
B - Granola with skim milk, cantalope
L-  Lunch portion Carolina Chicken Salad w/lite ranch dressing (Ruby Tuesday)
D - 1/2 c. non-fat yogurt w 1/4 granola, 1 c. raw sugar snap peas 

I'm off to choir practice.  Our Minister of Music is on vacation and Mr. B always "subs," so someone's gotta be there to give him a hard time.  I'm really good at that..........and don't you agree he needs to be punished for yesterday's "butt" shot?? 

13 comments:

  1. hahaha. Yes, he deserves whatever you dish out--and take a picture!

    Speaking of pictures, that sunrise is absolutely magnificent! Talk about catching the moment!

    It sounds like your September has started well. Wahoo, you! And I think it's a sweet and loving geture for you to go along with the eating out. :)

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my own aha moment today when I took stock of my weight and measurements compared to earlier in the summer. I ripped off a whole post about it, but am not sure I will publish that now, if ever. I am trying to be positive. (Keep repeating to self, Karen.) So Sharon, here we are. Let's do something about this backsliding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a magnificent sunrise, Sharon. I'm sorry you didn't get to see that in person, but maybe next time.

    You are being such a help and a friend to your MIL; I think it's wonderful. It would be hard to eat out for lunch a lot, but your compromise sounds perfect. Enjoy your time with her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though you didn't take the picture, it still is a really pretty picture. Glad you had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can do it. Really, when you think about it 7 pounds is not the end of the world. You probably will drop it quickly too, once you are able to regain focus. The important thing is that you are aware and are taking steps to change. There is no doubt in my mind you will get to your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing picture! You've drawn the line in the sand and I'm sure September is going to be fabulous. What a good compromise with MIL. You're actually exercising a good muscle there--the how to eat out sensibly muscle. It may come in handy. I love choir practice. It's one of the highlights of our week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sing right off key to get him back!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just had to laugh when I read about your scream from the scale and your husband's response!!! How funny. On the positive side of things, you've owned it and you're on your way once again. Good for you Sharon. The picture of Mt. LaConte is beautiful. It's got me to thinking that maybe I should make hiking it one of my goals for 2011?!?

    Blessings,
    Kimberlynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea to enlist your MIL in helping you stay accountible. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Now that she is well aware of your need to stay within certain food choices I bet she will be a lot of help to you! Great work. Remember: you have "fresh fat" and that is the quickest to lose if you try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sharon...it's me again. I just wanted to let you know that I've given you award. Come by sometime and get it.

    http://mindingmyweigh.blogspot.com/

    Blessings,
    Kimberlynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a glorious sunrise!

    I know how important this journey is to you, so that really is a loving gesture for you to compromise and go out to eat with your MIL.

    Let's rock September!
    Loretta
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Sharon, for your comment on my blog. It really touched me. I'm going to accept that you weren't just being polite, but really meant it, and take you up on your offer.

    What I really need? Wisdom.

    I would appreciate it so much if you prayed for me to have wisdom from God.

    Then I could better know His will, and not always be wondering if I am getting it wrong.

    Then I would better use my time, not wasting it on meaningless and/or selfish things.

    Then I would be a better listener, and not pop off some shallow advice before I even bothered to "hear" someone's heart.

    Then I would truly learn to seek first His kingdom, and trust Him to take care of the rest.

    And lots more, LOL!

    Thank you for such a kind comment,
    Loretta
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a glorious picture. Is your friend a professional photographer? Would they be willing to sell me a copy of it? Just by way of sending it to me in any email or something so I could download it and have a print made of it?

    I am enjoying hearing about all your hiking and am anxious to read the report of the next one! I'm glad you took a day for yourself. Much deserved!

    ReplyDelete