Thursday, June 24, 2010

It's Not Cool To Be Hot!

Thank you for your kind thoughts in response to yesterday's post.  My husband is an only child and although, I've always been treated equally as a daughter and would have been welcome yesterday, I believe the mother and son time alone together was precious.  It began a process of honesty regarding end of life decisions and the process of letting go.  Everyone is on the same page, healing tears were shed and now we wait to see what happens next.

In my town, we have already surpassed last year's TOTAL number of 90+ degree days with no relief in the near future.  So imagine our dismay when we returned from choir practice last evening to find a very warm house.  Not the best timing for our air conditioner to stop blowing nice cool air!  It was a hot night and believe me, that is NOT meant in a good way!  lol!  At 7 a.m., I placed a call to our faithful Heating & Air Conditioning Repairman, but haven't heard back from him yet, so looks like I'm in for a warm day of waiting.  How convenient that, suddenly, Mr. Wonderful (a.k.a. husband) had things to do at school today.  And how interesting that, suddenly, walking at the mall doesn't seem nearly as unpleasant as it did in my earlier posts. 

Which got me to thinking (this is where those who know me go "uh-oh") about our ability to adapt when something that normally operates in the background without a hitch, like air conditioning, unexpectedly goes haywire (NO cool air on a day forecast to be 96 degrees and mostly sunny).  Some people automatically search for a way OUT (my husband immediately declared he was going to school) while others automatically search for a way to work within the circumstances.  I had a list of things to do today including cooking and other household projects.  Instead, I will do the things I had planned for tomorrow - working on my blog (although it's amazing how much heat this laptop generates!!), writing some notes, making some calls and reading.  Another choice we have is to compromise.  Before leaving for school, my husband agreed to be back home no later than 1 so I could go walk and run some necessary errands (all in air conditioned buildings!!)  All three choices are appropriate in certain circumstances - the challenge is finding the best one for the moment.   

How can this apply to a weight loss journey???   Every day, hundreds of times, we are faced with unexpected food-related situations that require us to adapt.  The way I see it, we can:

1) LOOK FOR A WAY OUT (refuse the sudden lunch invitation, go for a walk when the chips in the pantry start talking, call a friend when you ate the chips and now the cookies are calling, etc.)
2) SEARCH FOR A WAY TO WORK WITHIN THE CIRCUMSTANCE (accept the lunch invitation and ask if you can choose the restaurant, grind the chips in the garbage disposal, etc.)
3) COMPROMISE (work out a solution to any given situation as a "team" even if the "team" is you and yourself!!  This is a mental game, but it works!!)

I am having a really good week sticking to my eating plan.   I feel good and strong.   With no "challenges" for the remainder of the week, I should have a good loss to report on Sunday.  The sinus headache I mentioned earlier this week has gone away seemingly without triggering a sinus infection which is what normally happens.  I am very thankful for that. 

I have added my weight loss journey statistics to a side-bar on my blog.  This was a HUGE step for me. I am a total introvert who guards her privacy and has never been one to openly share private information.  I believe it will help me stay accountable and who knows, it may lead to more information about me than you've EVER wanted to know......................!!

I leave you with a pearl of wisdom:  When your air conditioning isn't working and it's 93 degrees at 10 a.m., STOP DRINKING COFFEE!

1 comment:

  1. Sharon, I'm glad that your DH and MIL had some time to be together and figure out the best plan for everyone.

    Also, lots of great info here on the weight loss plan. Your useful tips will be very helpful to everyone. Good work.

    Margie M. writes at:
    www.myhealthylivingthruweightcontrol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete