Monday, June 21, 2010

Yeah, It Was The Moon........and Keep On Talking About It!

Up until my last post on Friday and on through the weekend, the irony has been almost laughable.  It if wasn't such a serious subject, it would be!  Of course, I'm kidding about the moon thing, but even through this morning, I'm still reading blogs with frantic posts regarding weight gains these past few days.  For me, along with several others, the inexplicable gains we wrote about disappeared as quickly as they mysteriously appeared.  As I struggle to lose these last 22 pounds (for the LAST time), I'm certain there will be more days when I step on the scale and for no apparent reason, find a gain of one or more pounds.  But here is what I learned and what many of you already know.  All of you that experienced the same thing I did, took one of two approaches to the weight gain: either a) Where did that come from?  I stuck to plan, I exercised, I did everything right, or 2) What was I thinking?  I've eaten everything in sight, I've not exercised in three days, I've binged, I've forgotten I even had a eating plan, etc.  But the response, without exception, has been the same.  I've thought it through, I've talked about it in my blog, I have a plan and I will work the plan. 

I am so grateful to those who provided feedback last week in response to my weird three pound gain.  Although my blog is new and I'm still learning, I've quickly come to see how much the feedback means.  My spouse and friends support me because they know me and love me.  But this is different - you actually understand what this feels like because you are LIVING it just like I am.   So keep on talking with your fingers as often as you can.   Help build each others networks, especially for new bloggers like me.  Take a few extra minutes occasionally to search out a brand new blogger who might desperately need to receive that first bit of feedback.  Lyn's (Escape From Obesity) Bethany McDonald Blogroll is a great place to start.  I know those first comments meant the world to me (thanks, Pam and Margie).

We are back at home in East Tennessee.  It is so hot, pollen count is "very high" according to weather.com, and we are under an air quality alert.   So no surprise that I woke up with a sinus headache this morning.   My husband teaches a summer school course during the month of July and although I was happy to put the suitcases away for a few weeks, I believe I'd get them out again in a heartbeat if I could head somewhere with cool, clean air.  Getting my 12,000 steps today will require three circuits at one of our malls.  I detest doing this - for me, that's when exercise becomes something I "have" to do rather than the pleasurable activity it normally is.   I had planned a hike to Gregory Bald in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park tomorrow with some friends from church, but after discussing it yesterday, we decided to cancel.  The hike is 11 miles and with predicted temps of 94, it neither sounded fun or safe.  Hiking is my #1 favorite activity.   Rest assured, it is hard, REALLY hard, for me to cancel a planned hike.  Gregory Bald boasts one of the largest concentrations of Flame Azalea in the entire world and when they bloom in mid-June, it is a sight that defies description.  I am sad to miss it this year.   

I have some goals to accomplish this week, two of which are to do some more work on this blog and learn how to post pictures.  Shouldn't be difficult for me, just need some time to work on it.  Since I've been out of town most of the last five weeks, I have several friends whom I need to meet (for coffee, of course) and get caught up on what's been happening in their lives.  Fortunately, mine will slow down considerably when my husband begins his class. 

Weight Loss Last Week:  .71 pounds (22 pounds to goal)
Average Steps Last Week:  12,170
Did not hike* or bike last week
*Walked more than 3 miles at Red River Gorge and Natural Bridge State Park all on short trails

2 comments:

  1. I love getting comments from 'strangers' and discovering I have a new follower. It really gives me a boost to know that others outside of family & friends really do care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoy your blog. You will lose that 22 pounds for the last time and won't that be nice? I was hoping the east side of the state would be cooler than we are - but I guess not!

    ReplyDelete