Friday, July 17, 2020

Day 11 (100 Days of 100 Grams) - Rest Day in the Mountains

Linville Falls - Linville, NC
July, 2019

For a couple of reasons, I have designated Friday as my "rest" day.  I am in a few small groups, one of which meets (via Zoom right now) on Friday morning from 9-11 and the other meets every other  Friday evening (also via Zoom) at 7.  Believe me, I have NO grounds on which to whine about the heat up here when compared to the heat at home and other parts of the country, but the humidity continues to rise and one is better off if walking/hiking is done early in the day.  I walked for 30 minutes in the area where my cabin is located, but high up on this mountain, you are either walking steeply UP or steeply DOWN!  Not really a pleasurable experience other than getting it done! With the high humidity, we've also settled into a pattern of afternoon storms which have already kicked in, so a rest day feels just right.  Maybe a good movie on this giant television screen I have which feels positively luxurious compared to the one I have at home.

Linville Falls - Upper Falls 

Probably the best thing going for me with the low carb eating is the fact that with COVID-19, I chose to bring ALL of my food with me and refrain from doing any shopping while here.  That translates into no temptations like those I would face if at home.  A good example being a stormy afternoon and a good movie just kind of screams, POPCORN!  No problem, no temptation - I don't have any! I actually planned it this way both because of not wanting to grocery shop while here, but also knowing all carb cravings should have gone away by the time I go home.

Linville Falls 

As mentioned yesterday, my greatest challenge each day is keeping it to 100 carbs, but the good news is that even on the days I go slightly over, NET carbs (total carbs-fiber=NET carbs) remains below 100.  Most low carb "experts" advocate counting it that way anyway, but for simplicity sake, I chose to stick with total carbs.  The Nutrisystem meals I am working my way through may be higher in carbs, but they also have a very high fiber content which is good.

I feel good about my progress!

(Today's pictures are all from a day trip last year to Linville Falls, usually called the most popular waterfall on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  To take in all four overlooks, and the only way to view the entire waterfall, is not a long hike, but is a VERY steep one.  More here, if interested.)

Day 10 Recap:

Total Carbs: 122 (97 net carbs)
Total Steps:  10184 

1 comment: