Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Day 15 (100 Days of 100 Carbs) - There is HOPE!

Price Park on the Blue Ridge Parkway
Boone, NC - July 21, 2020

I'm not sure if this is a diseased leftover leaf from last year or a hopeful sign of things to come, but two things stopped me in my tracks as I walked by it earlier today.  First, the vivid red jumped out at me among the sea of various shades of green beside the browns of the tree trunks and sticks lying close by. The extreme heat has caused the pinks and whites of the mountain laurel to fade away a bit too early, so the brief glimpse of bright red at my feet halted my steps immediately.  Second, I looked both around me and above me and saw not one other leaf anywhere that had any red on it. 

The past few years have taught me many things, but none more important than being present in the "now" and in a constant state of awareness.  We fly through our days and before we know it, years have gone by and we wonder where they went.  We miss so much beauty and so many opportunities for growth simply because we fail to notice.  It takes a concentrated effort to focus on the moment and what can be found in it for you on that day. 

What did the leaf have to say to me?  Change is coming.  The greens and pinks will fade to vivid reds and oranges.  The heat and humidity will bring cool and dry air.  The one red leaf on the ground will become many in a sea of unimaginable color that will take our breath away.  Maybe by the time the one red leaf becomes many, we will once again be able to enjoy the company of each other. Even then, may we never forget the beauty and uniqueness we each posses on our own, but oh my, the amazing grandeur of what comes alive when we are one and working together in community.  There is hope!

An unexpected dinner invitation came at the last minute yesterday and threw the plan off a bit.  I could've made a couple of different choices that would've lessened the total carb count, but also would've lessened my enjoyment of the evening.  This challenge is a lifestyle, not a sprint.  I am compensating by having a lower carb day today and do not regret my choices yesterday.  Logging the good and the bad is teaching me how to purposefully eat this way permanently.

Day 13 Recap:

Total Carbs:  275
Total Steps:  12840

4 comments:

  1. You're coming up with some very thoughtful posts just for reporting on your carbs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New to your blog and it looks like I’m 100 days late to the adventure! Congratulations on a good plan to safely accomplish your goal. I have to think about what 100 carbs is (or better yet, I’ll scroll back and let you tell me).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to be here reading your blog and learning more about you. I eat 'lower' carbs but when I read your challenge, I reviewed my meals and know that I eat more than that every day. I don't eat any sugar and haven't for over 10 years so that helps me keep healthy. I have an allergic reaction to sugar so I can't eat it. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure the dinner invitation was a nice change.

    ReplyDelete