Monday, July 13, 2020

Day 7 (100 Days of 100 Grams) - A Fork in the Trail

Boone Greenway - Boone, NC
July 13, 2020

I can be really stubborn sometimes when I get something stuck in my mind and this morning, I was reminded quite vividly, that taking the "other" fork in the trail just might yield discoveries you didn't expect.  About 1 1/2 miles into my much-loved Boone Greenway there is a fork in the trail.  I have always followed the fork to the right as it crosses a lovely bridge and meanders along the river for another half mile.  The left fork immediately goes up a hill and is in full sunlight where the right path remains shady.  Somehow, I had gotten it in my mind that the left fork was simply a connector path to the high school, was short and therefore, had no scenic value.  

Boone Greenway - July 13, 2020

My friend, who lives in Boone and often walks with me, takes the left fork frequently and talks about a creek alongside the path and more solitude than the right fork.  So today, I took the left fork and after topping that first hill immediately realized what I had missed.  I was wrong on all counts.  The path is lovely, challenging and slightly LONGER than the right fork. 
Boone Greenway - July 13, 2020

Once I reached the end (which was near the high school, but not a connector at all!) and started my return trip, I spent some time contemplating what I had missed simply by being set in my ways and refusing to consider that another direction might not necessarily be better, but equally as beautiful just in a different way.  Life is about choices.  Operating on autopilot sure can rob us of the opportunity to experience something different. I hope I"ll remember that the next time I see a fork in the trail.

Day 6 Recap:

Total Carbs:  113
Total Steps:   9467

No comments:

Post a Comment