Sunday, July 12, 2020

Day 6 (100 Days of 100 Grams) - Weekly Recap

Maggie Valley, North Carolina
June, 2020

I didn't quite realize how ambitious the promise to post every day for the next 100 days would be.  Throughout the active life of my blog, I've varied on number of posts anywhere from several times a week to one a year!  Because I think the accountability of posting every day is important, I plan to follow through, however, weekends will include a picture of the day along with the prior day's carb and step count on Saturday and a brief weekly recap on Sunday.  I do love thinking and creating posts in my head then getting them written, so I suspect I'll settle into a routine in a few more days. 

I began the 100 days challenge on Tuesday, so this recap only covers five days, but I consider them successful.  I went over 100 carbs on two days, but not by much.  The chart is not fancy (technology is NOT my strength, but I am learning), but is a record for me to check for problems or trends all in one place. I wish I knew how to draw a bold, red line on the horizontal axis marking 100, but alas, out of my skill set and some strong words were used as I tried to figure it out until finally giving up.  At this point, I am grateful that I created the chart and got it pasted here!!


This week's "gifts" included:

Carb "flu" (very real feelings of malaise and low energy when carb intake is cut drastically or eliminated) has been virtually non-existent.  On day 3, I experienced some hunger pains, but took care of that with some protein that I had.  I am not quite to the adjustment phase where energy kicks in and cravings go away, but it hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be.

The fact that I am in a cabin in the mountains is a "gift" indeed, for which I am very grateful.  The temps are wonderful and the options for long walks are numerous.  Getting plenty of exercise is NOT an issue and motivation to get out and walk is constant. 

I am truly enjoying posting to the blog again.

This challenge is not dependent on a number on the scale, but in five days, I can already tell that I've lost weight.  If nothing else, I FEEL lighter because the things I am eating are lighter.

This week's challenges included:

Planning ahead is a challenge.  I do have one friend who lives here and we spend a good bit of time together.  She loves to cook and many meals will be shared while I am here with some of those being impromptu.  Certainly not a unpleasant challenge to have, but eating lower carb meals the rest of the day will enable me to enjoy her delicious food fully.  Planning is always both the key to success and a challenge.

I don't think I mentioned that I have done the Nutrisystem Plan for the past year and actually did quite well with it.  It is NOT low carb AT ALL and even before setting out on this new challenge, I had begun to grow tired of the food.  I had already begun eating about half Nutrisystem meals and half regular food.  The challenge is that I still have a good bit of Nutrisystem meals left that need to be eaten.  As a mentioned, they are not low carb, so incorporating one or two of them into meals each day cuts into that 100 grams REAL FAST.  Again, that is a challenge right now, but not for long. 

All in all, it was a great start and I am excited about the weeks ahead!

DAY 5 RECAP:

Total carbs: 115
Total steps: 12235




4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Stew, thank you so much for your support!

      Delete
  2. Hi Sharon, I didn't realize that you were BACK to blogging... Saw your name a couple of times recently on my blog comments --but didn't realize that it was you... Glad to catch up with you. I like your idea of 100 carbs/100 days.... As you know I have struggled all of my adult life with my weight. I still struggle --but make myself weigh every day (regardless of what I'd eaten the day before... ha).... My weight can fluctuate 5 pounds one way or the other.... My goal is to stay about 140.... On July 1st, I weighed 143.9 and this morning I weighed 141.4.... SO---I am still holding my own BUT it's HARD....

    Carbs are my problem also.... The fewer carbs I eat (staying away from the bad ones), the better my weight is, and my blood sugar, etc..... I don't eat as much protein as I probably should now, but do eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies... I love your idea... On my food journal (My Fitness Pal) --I divide my carbs and fiber (since I need fiber)... Yesterday I had 72 carbs and 25 fiber..... If I added them together, that is still under 100.....

    I read that you had been in Crossville recently... Please let me know the next time you are around here... It's been a long time since we 'caught up'....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting! I need all the support I can find. Yes, I also separate carbs and fiber in my head although chose not to do that for the 100 days while I adjusted to fewer carbs overall. I also use My Fitness Pal for tracking. That last trip to Crossville was a quick one as my niece had an appointment at a bridal shop in Cookeville later in the afternoon and she just wanted the veil! I would enjoy seeing you as well. Even though I rarely comment, I NEVER miss reading your posts and looking at your pictures!

      Delete