Friday, July 10, 2020

Day 4 (100 Days of 100 Grams) - It's All A Matter of Perspective

Boone Greenway - Boone, North Carolina
October, 2019

Yesterday, as I was walking along the beautiful Boone, NC greenway, I overheard some people talking about how "miserably" hot it was and before they were out of my earshot, they went on to remark that there was no "relief" in sight. I chuckled to myself thinking, "this is NOT hot, you have no idea," but quickly chose to remind myself that this was such a great life lesson for me of how we see things is, more often than not, simply a matter of perspective.  And where do those perspectives come from?  If those two women I overheard haven't been out of this area for awhile, yes, I realize it is "hot" to them because Boone is experiencing warmer than normal temperatures right now.  But for me, coming from the foothills of East Tennessee, let me assure you that high temps of 80 degrees are slightly over blissful, fairly comfortable, but no where near HOT!!  It's all a matter of how one perceives it based on life experiences.  

Boone, North Carolina Greenway
October, 2019

I continued to ponder that idea as I walked along the greenway challenging myself to look closer at some of my long-held "perspectives" and consider where they actually came from.  Is it something my parents taught that I've never questioned?  Is it something I've just accepted because it was the dominant way of thinking in the geographic area in which I grew up?  Can I defend my perspective if asked? Can I identify a long-held perspective about which I completely changed my way of thinking? Am I open and welcoming to others who hold completely different perspectives in a way that invites conversation and openness to hearing their stories and viewing their stories as just as important to them as mine are to me?  The questions go on and on!


Boone, NC Greenway
October, 2019

I will confess that honest answers to some of those questions were not as pretty as I'd like them to be.  Just because I perceive something one way doesn't mean someone who sees it totally differently is wrong.  It's just a different perspective.  (But 80 degrees is NOT hot!! LOL!) 

Something else for me to consider as I continuing striving to become a person of kindness, integrity and love for all people.

Day 3 Report:

Total Carbs:  90
Total Steps:  14544

1 comment: