Monday, October 11, 2010

Autumn Leaves

Along the Cherohala Skyway in North Carolina
October 11, 2010

We had an absolutely wonderful time at Snowbird Mountain Lodge.   I was caught by surprise, however, at the nonexistent wireless internet service.  In the past, it has been very good, but it seems there have been problems with Snowbird's remote location and the internet service providers.  So while they are working this out, Snowbird provides a very weak connection option from the main lobby only and none from the guest rooms.  After sulking for approximately 30 seconds, I packed away the laptop and went technology free for three days.  It was wonderful!   I am terrified to look at my Reader though, so be forewarned that I may NEVER get to all the posts I've missed.  Our exquisite weather here stretches on for days plus I'm getting ready to leave again early Thursday morning, so I'll post as I can, but for right now, October is for outdoors!  

On Saturday and Sunday, we hiked to three different high elevation "balds" and were rewarded with some of the most amazing 360 degree views I have ever seen in my life.  Distance viewing was limited only by one's own eyesight.  Rest assured, you'll be seeing more pictures from those hikes and from Snowbird!

I wasn't quite sure what to expect from my "special diet" request, but I couldn't have been more impressed.   Snowbird's all-inclusive pricing gets you a lovely breakfast, a picnic lunch and a gourmet dinner.  Our first evening, the Executive Chef personally came out to go over the menu items with me and point out those that were gluten free and sugar free.  She also indicated that a special dessert would be prepared for me each evening and did I have any specific requests.  She did this each evening that I was there.  I am here to tell you that I did NOT suffer for lack of good food and now that I've been GF and SF for four days, I'm inclined to say I'd like to stay that way.  The sandwiches in my picnic basket were prepared with GF bread and after the first day, I took half the bread off - it was too heavy!   I am also happy to say that I lost 1/2 pound while I was there.  That is a FIRST - one does not go to Snowbird Mountain Lodge and LOSE weight!!  My prior practice has been to come home from a stay at Snowbird, wait three or four days, then weigh!  LOL!  

Mr. B and I had a chance to do some much needed catching up on what we call "MC."   That stands for "meaningful communication" and has been an inside joke of ours for YEARS!   Any time that one of us requests some MC, the other just rolls their eyes and says, "oh great, what have I done now??"  But sitting on top of one of those balds with the world spread out all around you just invites quiet reflection with someone you love.  I wish for all of you moments of contentment like we experienced over the past three days.  It restores the soul.  Between you and me, I also hope it edged one soul closer to deciding retirement might be just 3-5 years away instead of 5-7!

I am sorry to have missed Sunday Sharing.   It has come to mean a great deal to me and it will resume next week.  In the meantime, if anything is weighing heavily on you this week, we can make it Monday Musings and rest assured, I'll remember you in the same way as always.  The secret of Sunday Sharing is that I think about all of you each morning, not just those who leave specific comments!  But it does help to know what's on your mind.

For me, it's a busy week.  I'm preparing to head out of town again on Thursday for over a week.  For many reasons, I am so excited about this trip, but don't have much turnaround time, so tomorrow and Wednesday are going to be quite hectic.  Packing may be a nightmare because this trip involves hiking, biking, sightseeing, church and who knows what else.  I'm driving to carry our bikes and Mr. B is flying to meet on Friday afternoon, so gotta pack his stuff also!  No complaints here!  Best news of all - this trip involves time with one of you and I CAN'T WAIT!  Come back tomorrow and find out who!

In addition to all of the above, my mom is having cataract surgery in the morning.   Not expecting any problems and she is being insistent that all she needs is daddy and not to even bother coming, but she is 84, so you never know.  She lives about 40 miles from me!  That's my Sunday Sharing request - that all goes well.   She's just really been in a wad cause she can't see her golf ball clearly enough after she hits it!  We sure hope this takes care of that cause we're tired of hearing her complain about it!  LOL!

Guess I'll spend some time finding out what's been going on in your life while I've been sittin' on the top of the world (bet you'll be humming that tune for awhile!).

360 degree view from top of Huckleberry Knob in western North Carolina
October 10, 2010

13 comments:

  1. This post makes me smile:) I am glad you had such a great time and your next trip sounds fun too. My mom had her cataracts done last year and it was a piece of cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swords?? You travel (and hike) with swords? And people think I'm strange from traveling with my beloved scale! LOL Great picture, can't wait to hear the story.
    I'm so glad you had a great WE. MC is great. It's funny that one can live in the same house with some loved one and somehow not have MC, but it happens here more than I'd like to admit. Fortunately, we do have intentional times to really talk--usually during walks together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a nice trip; and hope you have a nice trip! I agree that October is the prettiest month to travel, at least in the Southeastern U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon, are you planning to join us in Williamsburg? :)

    I know, I know ... off by a weekend.

    It looks like October is get-together-with-the-bloggers-you-love month.

    Glad you enjoyed Snowbird. It has been YEARS since we were there last. Sounds like a lot of changes since then ... maybe time for a revisit. It was always a great getaway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great trip to Snowbird! Dropping weight while on vacation and eating yummy food? My idea of paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on creating a wonderful weekend for yourself and Mr. B. Meaningful communication, good food, hikes, walks and soaking in the beauty of that area just can't be beat.

    Thanks for your many positive comments of encoragement on my blog. Appreciate it!

    Margie M. writes at:
    www.myhealthylivingthruweightcontrol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your pictures. My husband and I are still looking for a retirement location and those North Carolina pictures are gorgeous! Unfortunately, with my allergies we are seeking high-desert areas -- wish we had more choices. Love the swords.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy for you! :D

    It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend--and have another coming! But, my oh my, is your plate full for the next couple of days!!!! I don't envy that. :}

    And you lost weight! Woo hoo!!!! How cool is that!?!

    Don't you worry abut blogland--you just get done what you have to get done so that you can have a relaxing, refreshing time starting Thursday.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!!! That place sounds wonderful! We're still trying to decide where to go for our ten year anniversary next year. I'll have to visit their website. We got married on the 7th of October.

    I hope your next trip goes well. It sounds like October is fun month for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my...what a lovely time. It sounds like you're busy and having the time of your life. Enjoy Sharon. I can't wait to hear about your trip and who you're meeting.

    Blessings to you my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a wonderful weekend away with your honey! Congrats on losing weight while being gone too, that is the perfect ending!

    I like the "MC" and may have to borrow that! Our MC usually occur over coffee in the morning.

    I think perhaps you are meeting up with Tish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the fall picture that led this post off. Snowbird sounds like a great place. How cool was that to have your own :chef." My hubby and I will take a get away next week to Yosemite. Can't wait. Enjoy your next trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, looks like a gorgeous place to be!

    ReplyDelete