Saturday, October 2, 2010

Lots Of Hot Air!

2010 Pellissippi State Community College Balloon Festival 
October 2, 2010

This balloon festival has become one of the largest fund-raising events for Pellissippi State and is a beloved community event.   This was the seventh year and we have worked one of the entrance gates every year since it started.   Last year, we were "promoted" to the gate which can only be accessed by the balloons, vendors and entertainment.  It's much easier and less hassle.  If you've never seen a balloon "glow," I'll have to say it's quite beautiful.  You can't see from this picture, but the balloons surround a lake and their reflections shimmer in the water as they light up while music is playing.   I've always been fascinated by hot air balloons and the ultimate US balloon festival, the Albequerque Balloon Fiesta is on my bucket list.  But for now, the one we attended last night worked just fine and supported a really great cause.

Last month, I received two awards which I have been delinquent in accepting although I did thank the givers on their blogs.  I appreciate the awards I receive simply because it means you found something in my posts that meant something to you.  That encourages me to keep on writing!

Thanks to Diane at Big Beautiful Me for The Versatile Blogger Award and to Weightless for the One Lovely Blog Award.  I enjoy reading the blogs of both these women.   I have received the first award previously, so am going to count that as having fulfilled the requirements.  The second one is new to me and the requirements are a bit different than other awards I've received.  Thought a Saturday evening might be a good time to answer the questions about me that Weightless posed.  At some point, I'm supposed to pass along the same questions to others or make up new ones of my own.  

So welcome to the Saturday evening edition of "More About Sharon Than You've EVER Wanted To Know."  LOL!!

1. What is the thing you feel most accomplished about?  The fact that even though we married very young, we made some good decisions and stuck with them.  We knew our chosen careers were not high paying ones and we'd never be able to have it all or do it all.  So we chose the things that were important to us, set goals to be able to achieve those things and let go of the rest.  We've always lived a very simple life, but wouldn't trade it for the world.  And 33 years later, those dreams are coming to fruition. Our shared passion is travel.  We've learned how to do it on a shoestring budget, have already done quite a bit, but have a long way to go.

2. Where do you live and what do you like about it?  I live in East Tennessee at the foot of The Great Smoky Mountains National Park and there is nothing I don't like about it unless it would be the perception that all people who live in Tennessee are rednecks.  Trust me, I've traveled all over the world.  There are rednecks everywhere!!

3. What is your favorite song?  Humor me!!  I'm a musician!!  I can't have just one favorite song.   My all-time favorite "Unchained Melody."   My "silly" favorite is "Hungry Eyes" from Dirty Dancing.   My favorite hymn is "This Is My Father's World."  My favorite Christmas carol is "Do You Hear What I Hear?"
 
4. If money wasn't an issue what would you do with your free time?  Exactly what I'm doing right now!  
 
5. What is one thing you haven't done but wish you had?  Hiked the entire Appalachian Trail.

6. Describe a perfect day?  Hiking or Biking with Mr. B.   Today was pretty much a perfect day!

7. What is your favorite meal?  Lasagna
 
8. What is your favorite holiday?  Valentine's Day

Like I said, more about me than you've every wanted to know..........so tell me stuff about YOU that I really do want to know.   Leave a comment, answer any one of these eight questions and help me know you better.  Heck, answer all eight if you want to!!

8 comments:

  1. Sharon,

    I was happy to give it to you. You have helped me quite a bit on my quest.

    I love to travel, too, but don't get to very often. If I could, I would see every inch of Italy and then move on to England & Ireland. Sigh... one can only hope that life settles down eventually and I can indulge those dreams.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting my PhD, Texas-the mexican food, When you were young, rent unbrellas on a beach in Tahiti, nothing I wish I had done, jet skiing or snorkeling or swimming with dolphins, nachos, Christmas...

    Polar's Mom
    www.polarspage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also smitten with hot air balloons. Wish we had a "glow" around here! Looks beautiful. We stopped at the Natl Hot Air Balloon museum in Iowa one year. I think you'd like it.

    I love the Smokies! Jealous!

    Congratulations on your awards :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just loved this post!! Before you even said on number one that you were proud you've been married 33 years, I noticed that in your About Me and was going to comment on it! That is so amazing, and I can tell you something.. it is rare these days. My parents divorced after 18 years and I wish all the time they were still married. I can only give my boys what I always wanted.. a family that stayed together forever. <3 You are a very interesting lady! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the awards! :D

    I LOVE Unchained Melody. I remember the first time I heard it! I was staying overnight at a friends house and a swimming pool down the road was playing it over their loud speaker.

    It was a breezy summer night with the windows open, and I remember hearing that song drifting in thru the window as we were going to sleep.

    Love, love, love that song!

    I also loved the award you gave me! I just haven't had time to do a post that would do it justice! Every time I plan to sit down to do it, someting interupts me. I've had it on my mind, tho, since you gave it to me. Thanks you for that; it means a lot. It' funny, I knew almost right away who I was going to give it to, also.

    Your list was wonderful. So good to hear when someone appreciates their life.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations--well deserved awards. Your ballooning event sounds wonderful--I think your picture was great--you DID capture the glow!
    I enjoyed learning more about you. I'm so glad I don't have to answer the favorite song. It's much too hard to choose! I liked all your choices though. Lasagna? I'll have to make you my world-famous WW lasagna some time. It's only "world" famous because my Italian friends liked it and asked for my recipe. As to hiking the AT, did you ever read Bryson's A Walk in the Woods about his experience hiking the AT? He's a good writer and funny. Even tho he gets a little crass sometimes, we liked the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Grandma went to the Albuquerque one many years ago, and I remember seeing her pictures as a kid. I'm not particularly fond of heights, but I would have liked to watch them in the air.
    One thing about me? I went to school in a one-room country school house (which is a little rare b/c of my age) from K-3rd grade, then we moved into town and I went to public school. I had 3 other kids in my class, and my older brother was the only one in his. My teacher was in her 60's and her husband taught the 6-8th graders and she taught K-5th-- with a divider in between the classes. It was a pretty unique experience for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your answer to number 4! I actually was thinking about this the other day - what would I be doing if I won the lottery and why am I not doing that now!

    ReplyDelete