Friday, October 1, 2010

October Is For Outdoors!!

 Today's pictures were taken along the Maryville/Alcoa Greenway.  This is an absolutely beautiful 9 mile paved trail which is a joint effort between the two towns in East Tennessee.  It is lighted the entire way and passes through several parks with picnic and restroom facilities.  It is one of my favorite places to ride.  These pictures were taken yesterday, September 30, 2010.  Makes for an excellent 18 mile bike ride.


I slid out of a very difficult August into a wonderful September.  But I am so excited to be running OUT the DOOR right into October.   October is my absolute favorite month of the year and I challenge you to show me anywhere that is more beautiful than October in East Tennessee.  April runs a very close second, but we'll debate that issue on April Fool's Day!!  We have a very full October planned and it begins this evening with an annual fund-raising event at Mr. B's Community College.  You can come along with me via pictures tomorrow.  It has become a well loved community event and a few years ago was named one of Southeast Tourism Society's Top 20 Events, so we are quite proud to be associated with the event.  We "work" every year and have a great time.  My "cooler" is already packed with my food for the evening and we are taking MIL who has NEVER been able to go.  It's going to be so much fun.  

Mr. B surprised me with reservations at one of our favorite inns next weekend, but I'll tell you more about that later.  The following week is his fall break and I can't WAIT to share what we're doing then!  In between all that, I've got to find lots of time to hike because I sure don't want to miss the million dollar show put on by the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in October and early November.  Can you tell I'm excited??

Today is an important anniversary.  It was four years ago today, on October 1, 2006, that I stepped on the scale and weighed 203 pounds.  I was so angry with myself, disgusted with my appearance and frustrated with the fact that it was October and I knew I couldn't keep up with my hiking buddy!  I had made up my mind October 1 would be the day and had already developed my eating plan.  I had hoped that I hadn't made it above 200 pounds, but there was 203 staring me in big, red digital numbers!  It took a little over a year, but I reached my goal of 138 the following December.  I wish that over the next three years I had not regained 30 of those pounds, but I did.  Thankfully, I am on my way back down and I truly believe this will be the time it clicks and maintaining 138 becomes as much a priority as getting to 138 was/is.  One thing I have now that I didn't have then, is this blog and you.  For that, I am very, very grateful!  My weight this morning was 157.5, a loss of 2 pounds for the month.  Not what I'd hoped for, but it's o.k. 

Thought it might be interesting to see the trend, so I went back and checked my weight from each of those years on October 1.   One of the smartest things I've ever done with respect to my healthy journey, was to start keeping a simple spreadsheet recording my weight every morning and the number of steps recorded on my pedometer each day.  I refer back to them constantly for both encouragement and a kick in the butt!!
October 1, 2006  -  203
October 1, 2007  - 140.5
October 1, 2008  -  151.5
October 1, 2009  -  162.5
October 1, 2010  -  157.5
On January 1 of this year, I weighed 168, exactly 30 pounds above my goal.  And that goal is exactly where I am headed!  I highly encourage the keeping of records.  You'll refer back to them often looking for trends which are of such value.  With four years of records now, I refer to them all the time.  

I am headed to MIL's to help with some first of the month financial issues.  Tomorrow Mr. B and I will head to the farmer's market on our bicycles.  We plan to hike on Sunday after church.  Hope everyone of you has something exciting to do this weekend with someone special.

I'm curious as always!!   As much as you are comfortable divulging (and I fully understand those who aren't!), tell me where you are, what is the beautiful month of the year in your area and what outdoor activity you enjoy most during that month?  It might be a general activity or a very specific festival or event that occurs during that month.   It's o.k. if you don't want to tell me where you are, but still tell me your favorite month and why!! 

12 comments:

  1. You know where I am Sharon. And like you I don't think there's anywhere in the world more beautiful in October than East Tennessee. I live for fall!!! And to answer your question, I'm good to go hiking anytime in October or November. Mouse Creek Falls...here we come!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful in East Tennesee everytime of the year. One of my very best friends lives in Sieverville. I was out last August and it was beautiful.

    I live in the heart of California, the central valley, near Modesto. The prettiest time of year in the Valley is early spring, when the almonds are blossoming. The best thing about where I live is location. I in an hour, I can be in San Francisco, at the beach, Yosemite National Park, or some where in the Sierra Nevada's. California is one of the most beautiful and most environmentally diverse states.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The weather in Kansas is lovely right now. All week it has been great for biking. But fall here is nothing compared to the east. My favorite spot is New Hampshire. Foliage at its best:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am finally on a downward cycle after seesawing for a very long time - so I'm pretty excited! My fav time of year is this time - with all the colours but it's bittersweet, knowing that once the leaves are gone, my world will be dull and gray for a long time (snow doesn't always arrive and stay - rain does, cold, yucky rain :( )...I LOVE fall walks. Love walking at any time, but a cool, sunny fall day is the BEST! Ahhhh.
    D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the month, October. Here in Illinois & Wisconsin the seasons change is great. ANd being a hunter, you can find me outdoors in the beauty of it all getting the hunting done & filling the freezer for the coming year.

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In landlocked in Texas where there isn't much in the way of seasons, but October is my favorite month, followed closely by April. Those shoulder months provide some lovely, lovely days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice Welcome to October post. I live in Northern Virginia and I think this is one of the most beautiful states. I love where we live--near Washington, D.C. and I love the beautiful Shennandoah Valley seen from Skyline drive. as well as the beautiful shoreline near Chincoteague Island. My favorite months are at the height of the fall color in the mountains (Oct) and when the spring flowers start their color show (Apr/May) I have a very large bed of Virginia Bluebells that are my harbingers of spring.
    I love hearing about your October plans--can't wait to hear the rest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fall too - the leaves changing, the welcome cool breeze, even turning the heat on! Amazing weight loss results, from 203??? Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this time of year too!!!! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on ending September showing a loss! Wahoo, you. You earned that one, girl, you did!

    I am so happy to see October 1st! Summer was hard for me weight wise--but today is the first day of the last quarter of the year. And we're gonna burn it up!

    I'm in Pittsburgh, PA. And fall is beautiful here--much like in Tennessee I would imagine. We're in the Appalachian foothills (anthills compared to the Smokies, of course!) and the trees put on a beautiful show. Usually a good month to be outside--although the last 3 days have been chilly and rainy. :(

    We're on our way to having a HOT 100, tho! :D

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your enthusiam is contagious! Two down is two down. You can set the fat on fire this month.

    October is my favorite month because Sonny was born on the 7th. I have the memories of being home on maternity leave with my sweet baby boy.... screaming his lungs out....

    NO, really, not many episodes of that; mostly cuddly, sweet, sleep-deprived days and nights, with the crisp fall colors surrounding our cozy house....

    It was magical. It really was.

    Thanks for reminding me of the memories. You are so kind!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sharon! As you know, I'm in Utah and we've got the most beautiful scenery in the Wasatch and Uinta Forrests. Love your pics, keep up the great job!!

    ReplyDelete