Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sunday Sharing - What is Next Week Like For You?

Morning Glory along the start of our bicycle ride yesterday morning!
October 2, 2010

"Don't fuss about what's on the table at mealtimes or whether the clothes in your closet are in fashion. There is far more to your life than the food you put in your stomach, more to your outer appearance than the clothes you hang on your body.  Instead of looking at the fashions, walk out into the fields and look at the wildflowers. They never primp or shop, but have you ever seen color and design quite like it? If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers—most of which are never even seen—don't you think he'll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you? What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving."  (Matthew 6:25-31, The Message Translation)

Yesterday was "practically perfect in every way" as Mary Poppins would say!  We bicycled one of our favorite routes to the Farmer's Market and on to Panera Bread for lunch.  There was one notable exception that added some length and challenge to our normal route.  A portion of the greenway is closed for some utility construction, so we chose a route along some side streets through the University of Tennessee campus.  I'm trying to prepare for a longer ride in a couple of weeks, so this was really good for me.  Not sure of the total mileage, but between Thursday's ride and yesterday, I biked no less than 36 miles in three days.  It was wonderful.  I am so grateful for the change in weather and as promised, October is for outdoors.  I'm spending as much of it outside as I possibly can!

Today is Sunday Sharing with a twist!  I'll change it up every week or so to keep you on your toes and hopefully, keep you from becoming bored with the concept.  You have no idea how special this has become to me.  Reading and pondering over these every morning while sipping that first cup of coffee is a delight I truly look forward to!  Thanks for responding.  Please continue.

For those who might be new this week, please refer to this post for the background of Sunday Sharing.  For the rest, here's a reminder:

As we start a new week with its gains and losses, ups and downs, triumphs and challenges, joys and sorrows, please leave a comment and tell me some very specific thing that needs to happen in your life this week for you to feel as if you're making progress in a forward direction.  Be as honest and specific as you are comfortable being.  If it has absolutely nothing to do with weight loss, that is perfectly o.k.  This is about your life and what is occupying first place in your mind as you look towards a new week.

Here's the twist:

This week, instead of sharing one specific thing, tell me about your upcoming week as a whole.  What are your concerns and is there anything specific you dread?  Share with me a one word description of your mindset as you face a new week!  Be honest - it's o.k.!

For me, the week is hectic, but until next weekend, holds no huge challenges of which I am aware.  My one word mindset is:  DETERMINED!

11 comments:

  1. I am "questioning" as I go into this week. I am wondering if what I thought was a good eating plan is really the best for me and if I should change things up. I am asking what will work for the short and long term. I am committed, but not sure what I am committing too! Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon,
    Although I exercised every single day we were gone except the travel days, I had a hard time with portion control. I think I made better choices as to what I ordered, I ate too much. I'm expecting about a 3 pound gain. I need to get that off and get things moving in the right direction on the scale. Getting the momentum back can be hard.

    I'm also dreading the first few days at work. Since my employer is a non=profit, we run as lean as we possibly can on staff. That means that no one did any of 'my' work while I was gone. It will take a few days to undo that damage as well.

    There are some other staffing issues that will have to be faced this week. That won't be easy. On this issue, I have a certain peace however. This one has been easier for me to tell God that He has to take care of it. I know I can't and He will. I need to have that attitude with my entire life, not just the parts I know I can't handle!

    Thanks for your prayers.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy to read about your biking. Very nice.

    Hmm, my challenges for the week will be to stay present and not let myself get all wound up about the upcoming events. I've got a lot of work to do next week and I need to be deliberate in my choices. So I guess my work is deliberate.

    Sharon, I want to thank you for your Sunday posts. I believe it was last Sunday's post where I stumbled to the fact that I would be having a lot of meals out this past week. Being aware of that going into the week was a big help in make more appropriate (not perfect) choices for the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited to start this week. My girls and I had a wonderful day today. I'm looking forward to Saturday, when I plan on running a 10K. I'm much more focused this week and optomistic. Life is good and God is great, all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, my challenge for the week is to put food back in its place. I am really having a very hard time with it and I'm not exactly sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exercise. Not very exciting, but I am resisting doing any exercise other than walking. My attitude? RELUCTANT!

    I want an enthusiasm to exercise so that I can rebuild the muscles that the diabetes and gluten-intolerance have weakened.

    chuckle. That's all. hahaha.

    Know that you are in my prayes this week, too. :)

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am excited because I'm starting a new weight loss challenge at my gym. I get weighed, measured and have my first class Tuesday night!!! I really want to win this challenge!!!! I am going to do everything I can to make this happen!!!!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am starting to feel better after being sick most of last week.

    I need to get caught up around the house and I think it is going to be an easier week than last week was.

    I have a list of chores to work on each day. I need to be better at having structure and being on the computer less!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although I am mostly healthy again after being ill for most of September, I am far, far off course on where I hoped to be. Through grim determination, I have managed to exercise nearly every day for the past week+, but my eating is the worst it has been in months. No binges, but just extra calories each day -- they add up! So my word for the week is ROUTINE -- I need to resume my previous good routine of joyful daily exercise and careful, healthy eating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You already read about my week, and I thank you very much for thinking of me and reaching out. I do know it's a powerful practice. I also know it's a powerful practice to get out of myself in my own time of turmoil, to reach out to others and pray for them, so I will do that myself this week. You have a kind and loving heart, Sharon. :) May you feel loved and blessed this week! Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am "Peaceful" going into this week. I'm trying a new approach to weight loss to just trust myself to get it done.

    ReplyDelete