Monday, October 18, 2010

My Friend Margie


While reading blogs this afternoon, I came upon some information which has left me stunned and speechless.  My friend, Margie, who blogged at My Healthy Living Through Weight Control and whom I posted about in this post last Wednesday was killed early Sunday morning.  She and her husband, Bruce, were walking along a favorite route in Pismo Beach, California and were struck by a driver who was attempting to commit suicide.  Both Margie and Bruce were killed.

Margie's daughter, Stephanie posted the news on Margie's other blog,  Bruce and Margie's Full Time Journey which was the story of their life in a 40 ft. motorhome. I found it when I checked for new posts this afternoon.  Few details are available, but I was able to find this article posted by a local news source.

Margie was one of my first "followers" when I began this blog back in May and we became instant friends because of our shared interest in weight loss and in full-time travel.  Margie also had a great desire to support new bloggers and spent a lot of time seeking them out and lending her support.  Although she and I had never met in person, we were friends.  I did know that she and Bruce were Christians and because of that, I know that one day I will meet both Margie and Bruce.  Although I look forward to that meeting, my heart still breaks today.  Please remember their family.  They had two adorable grandchildren whom they spent this past summer caring for during the day while their parents were at work.

Don't let anyone ever tell you these attachments in this world of blogging don't run deep.  I know they do!  In one week, I've had the highest of highs while spending joyful days getting to know Tish and now the heartbreaking sadness of saying good-bye to my friend Margie, both of whom I only know through a blog I began five short months ago.   

I promise to get you all caught up later, but we are just having way too much fun to spend time inside writing posts.  And there's still so much fun left to be had.   We are making the most of every minute!  Bruce and Margie's tragic death is another vivid reminder to never, ever take one moment or one encounter with another person for granted.  You simply never know what the next second holds!

19 comments:

  1. Yes i was very sad to hear the news! She will be missed by many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad! I will keep her family in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this too - and am totally shocked. I was just getting to know Margie.
    D

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so sad. I didn't know her or follow her blog. Yes, it is a good reminder not to take our time here for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, as I said on "I will...'s" blog, tomorrow is not promised--and we forget that until something like this happens. It's unsettling.

    It makes me want to sit back and decide what is really important--and focus on that as tho my days are numbered.

    But, then, if I really thoguht I were going to die soon, I'd eat cake! I would. sigh. chuckle. sorry. But that thought is so ridiculous--and so true.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that is so sad and shocking. My heart goes out to her family, you, and all her knew Margie. I am sitting here shocked at the absurdity of it. Someone can be living a dream one moment, and have their life ended in such a horrible way the next. Hugs Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry, Sharon. That is so sad and horrible :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh- that is very sad. I'm so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been amazed how close I've become to some of my blog buddies in such a short time.

    I'll keep Margie & Bruce's family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I got to know of Margie via your blog. Yes blogging DOES tie us all together. How sad. I am happy to hear that they were both Christians though! AWESOME! I'd just found Margie's blog & was getting to know her so I didn't know that about her.
    D

    ReplyDelete
  11. (((( Sharon)))) It is amazing the friendships that you can form online. One of my very best friends I met online nearly 8 years ago. Even though, we've only met in person once, we are incredibly close.

    I'll keep you and your friend in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH MY FREAKING GOD. I've wondered where's she's been. She usually leaves me wonderful comments. I'm so sorry to hear this news

    paula

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Sharon, I am so shocked and sad to hear this news. I really liked Margie, even though I never met her. I loved that she and her husband were doing something that they loved. I will try to pop over and leave a message for their family. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Margie's and Bruce's death was with me all through the night. Margie was one of my first followers and I hadn't been to her blog in a few weeks and I had been thinking about her. I stopped at your blog before going to Margie and was shocked as you can read by my comment above.

    I too am amazed how we form these friendships on line. We read about each other and somehow, by reading one another's blog, we become invested.

    I'll miss Margie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow. that's incredibly tragic. So sorry :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't know Margie and Bruce, but heard about their tragic death from another friend of theirs, MargieAnne in New Zealand, at NothingIsTooHard blog.

    So many people have said such nice things... they must have been special people, and touched many lives.

    Reading that they were Christians, I'm glad to know that one day I will get to meet them.

    Loretta
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  17. I, too, followed Margi's blog. I can not believe what has happened to her and her beloved spouse. I am just speechless. Thank-you for sharing this tragic news.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm stunned also. I had just found her blog, through your blog, and had joined. Her last post welcomed me. I was planning to send her an email today to ask for some information regarding living in a trailer home. I feel really, really bad. Such a tragedy.

    ReplyDelete