Saturday, August 7, 2010

Weekend Turmoil

This was one of many Pink Lady's Slipper flowers found along the Ace Gap Trail during my hike last April.   This picture doesn't do justice to the beauty of the flower especially the brilliant pink color.  They are found in other places in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, but this trail is known for one of the largest stands.  

How quickly things can change!   Yesterday, we spent a wonderful day with Mr. B's parents.  We helped with some things that needed to be done around the house, then Mr. B stayed with his dad while MIL and I went to the mall, Sam's, Walmart and the grocery store.  We separated at the mall so I could walk and she could meander through her favorite stores.  It was just a good day all around.  FIL was in better shape mentally than he had been my past several visits. 

Tonight, he is in the hospital.  MIL called early this afternoon to tell us he was unable to swallow and she was taking him to the ER.  In his current mental state, that could mean several things.   Can't, forgot how or just plain won't are three possibilities that come to mind.  Since he is having no problems breathing or talking, it doesn't seem to be life threatening at this point, but after several x-rays, scans and hours in ER, the decision was made to admit him.  Of course, with it being Saturday, absolutely nothing will be done until Monday.  Mr. B is staying with his dad tonight, so MIL can have a night of uninterrupted sleep.  That leaves me all alone and if there was anything bad in the house for me to eat, I'd probably be chowing down right now.  You, my blogging friends, have come to the rescue once again.  Instead of eating, I am writing.

Monday morning is when we were to leave for our end of summer fling.  Guess that's on hold for the time being.  We were so looking forward to this time.  Once Mr. B starts back to school, he literally hits the ground running and hardly has time to breathe until December.  

We did make our weekly run to the farmer's market this morning.  I bought a new variety of tomato I'd never seen called a sausage tomato.  It's shaped like a large dill pickle and has a distinct flavor that I really like.  Will work perfectly sliced long ways on sandwiches.  No more blackberries, but did find a new variety of white peaches that are good.  

Will try and update sometime tomorrow. 


6 comments:

  1. Oh dear Sharon. I sure do know how life can change in a moment like that. Be good to yourself. Find some non-food treats that you might enjoy, and maybe one or two healthy treats. I will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope FIL is okay and I really hope he is well enough that you and your husband can take your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that you were able to write about it, instead of eating. I hope that it all works out okay.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sharon, I hope that things resolve for FIL way before Monday. I'll keep him and your family in my prayers. Great job on not having munchies in the house. That really does help stop mindless eating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope FIL has a quick recovery and you get to go on your trip. Keep up the good, positive behaviors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharon,
    I am sorry for the issues with FIL. I will keep all of you in my prayers.

    Be proud that you blogged instead of eat!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete